FAMILY RUN BUSINESSES
TAKING CARE OF YOUR FAMILY & YOUR BUSINESS
Family Run Businesses add an emotional complexity over non family organisations. It’s personal and professional. We work with the family and the business to make sure they both grow in harmony
YOUR FAMILY INTERESTS AT HEART
Business is important, especially when it’s personal. We recognise that family businesses require a unique perspective. It’s not just strategy, profit and structure – it’s understanding, listening and communication.
We take our family seriously and protect it like you do.
IT’S PERSONAL & PROFESSIONAL
OBJECTIVE PROFESSIONAL ADVICE
We have worked with successive generations of family businesses over our 90 years. We have seen and helped children take over the reins from parents and guided them through the process. You not only have our understanding and softer sides, but our hard nosed accounting acumen as well.
Once you’re business is part of our family, it’s personal.
"Although I am only a small business I am treated with courtesy and respect You make me feel valued"
Claire WalkerBECOME A CLIENT >
FAMILY RUN BUSINESS SERVICES
ACCOUNTS & AUDITS
With over 80 years experience working with family run businesses across diverse industries we have the understanding, experience and working practices that ensure your business keeps up. We make your life easier so that you can concentrate on your family and your business.
Annual accounts are not only mandatory but provide an essential opportunity for any business to review its performance, costs and margins – putting them in the best position to plan for future growth and make decisions.
Swindells can provide peace of mind by seeing that accounts are dealt with in plenty of time, avoiding any fines, and giving sufficient warning of any tax liability.
Many family businesses agonise over finance and bureaucracy when they want to be running and growing their business. We are trusted with our clients’ accountancy and tax issues including day-to-day accounting functions.
Swindells can help your business with:
- Outsourcing – from preparing cashflow and budget forecasts, to managing staff pay, VAT returns and general bookkeeping.
- Payroll – from supply of payslips only to full service including filing of HMRC forms (P60s etc), holiday, sick and maternity pay management.
- Bookkeeping- implementing a system that works well for you and makes end of year accounting more efficient.
- Management Accounts – allowing clients to constantly track cashflow, profit and expenditure, usually produced on a monthly basis.
- Company Secretarial – ensuring compliance with changing company legislation and meet all those filing deadlines.
- Credit Management – cash flow is the life blood of any business and effective credit management is vital to support growth.
By taking on these tasks and ensuring that they are handled properly, Swindells save you time and worry, allowing you to concentrate on working ‘on’ rather than ‘in’ your business.
TAX PLANNING FOR BUSINESSES
Swindells help family run businesses with the most tax efficient distribution of profits. These may include remuneration planning, dividend strategy and pension contributions.
We can also help with tax efficient means of raising funds such as the Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS), retaining key staff using share options such as EMI schemes and planning for the future sale of your company.
There are also issues to consider when selling a business and Swindells can help with exit strategies. Factors to consider will include Entrepreneurs’ Relief, inheritance tax planning and the treatment of any gains.
Other factors to consider might include:
- Selecting the most tax efficient trading style – limited company or partnership, for example.
- Capital gains tax planning
- Incorporation relief
- Retention of ownership of business premises
- Continuation of business reliefs
- Terminal loss reliefs
- Reliefs on cost of borrowing and interest expenses
- Sale or part sale of the business
- Share valuations on retirement or death
- Inheritance tax planning
Within family run businesses careful management is required to make sure that there is enough cash to meet working capital requirements.
Swindells’ corporate finance team can help those wanting to grow their business, whether that means investing in technology, diversifying, staffing up, acquiring or merging with a competitor.
We also help you sell your business and make sure that you pay as little tax as possible on that sale by careful planning.
MORE THAN YOU MIGHT EXPECT
Swindells also offer a range of specialist services and expertise that may be applicable to your personal and professional worlds:
ADVICE & GUIDANCE
From complex tax and financial planning for private investors and business owners; to advice and guidance for families and the elderlyRead more >
YOUR ACCOUNTS ONLINE
Your accounts online. Accessible anywhere any time. Join the world of online accounting:Read more >
ADVICE & GUIDANCE
Expert advice on complex tax planning, mergers and acquisitions, fund raising, disposals, due diligence and restructuring.Read more >
Organise a free appointment
Call us now on
UCKFIELD: 01825 763 366
SEAFORD: 01323 892 549