Last updated: 22 May 2018
- What is a cookie?
Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information, which are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a certain webpage. Cookies are then sent back to the originating webpage on each subsequent visit, or to another webpage that recognises that cookie. Cookies are widely used in order to make the Website work, or to work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the Website.
Cookies do lots of different jobs, like letting you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, and generally improving the user experience. Cookies may tell us, for example, whether you have visited the Website before or whether you are a new visitor.
There are two broad categories of cookies:
- First party cookies,served directly by us to your device.
- Third party cookies,which are served by a third party on our behalf. We use third party cookies for functionality, and performance / analytics purposes.
Cookies can remain on your device for different periods of time. Some cookies are 'session cookies', meaning that they exist only while your browser is open. These are deleted automatically once you close your browser. Other cookies are 'permanent cookies', meaning that they survive after your browser is closed. They can be used by the Website to recognise your device when you open your browser again.
- track traffic flow and patterns of travel in connection with the Website;
- understand the total number of visitors to our Website on an ongoing basis and the types of internet browsers and operating systems used by our visitors;
- monitor the performance of the Website and to continually improve it;
- What types of cookies do we use?
We only use performance/analytics cookies on our Website. We've set out some further information about the purposes of the cookies in the following table.
|Type of cookie||What it does||How to block|
|Performance / Analytics Cookies||We use performance/analytics cookies to analyze how the Website is accessed, used, or is performing in order to provide you with a better user experience and to maintain, operate and continually improve the Website. For example, these cookies allow us to:
· better understand our Website visitors so that we can improve how we present our content;
· test different design ideas for particular pages, such as our homepage;
· collect information about Website visitors such as where they are located and what browsers they are using;
· determine the number of unique users of the Website;
· improve the Website by measuring any errors that occur; and
· conduct research and diagnostics to improve offerings.
|Please also see the instructions set out in 'How to control or delete cookies' below.|
- How to control or delete cookies
Most browsers allow you to change your cookie settings. These settings will typically be found in the “options” or “preferences” menu of your browser. In order to understand these settings, the following links may be helpful, otherwise you should use the “Help” option in your browser for more details.
- Cookie settings in Internet Explorer
- Cookie settings in Firefox
- Cookie settings in Chrome
- Cookie settings in Safari weband iOS.
- Need More Information?
If you would like to find out more about cookies and their use on the Internet, you may find the following links useful:
- All About Cookies
- Contact us
If you have any questions or comments about this cookies policy, or privacy matters generally, please contact us via email [firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sign up to receive our private content
straight to your inbox