Brexit: Actions for you and your business

Melanie Richardson


As if a global pandemic wasn’t difficult enough for businesses in 2020, December brings with it the looming spectacle of Brexit.  The UK is leaving the single market and customs union and the end of the transition period will affect citizens, businesses and travel to and from the EU.  This article will discuss the changes and actions for you and your business that may be necessary.


The government has created a simple questionnaire to establish a personal checklist of items that you may need to consider prior to the transition:



Travelling to the EU


You can continue to travel to the EU as usual during the transition period

From 1 January 2021 there will be new rules covering travel to the EU, or to Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.

  • Passports – your passport will need at least 6 months validity and be less than ten years old
  • Healthcare - you should always get appropriate travel insurance with healthcare cover before you go abroad. Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will be valid until 31 December 2020.
  • Border control – you may need to show a return or onward ticket, prove you have enough money for your stay and use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss Citizens

If you do not renew your passport, you may not be able to travel to most EU countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

For more information on driving, mobile roaming, taking your pets with you and more, please visit



Import and export businesses


Preparing to import goods from the EU to Great Britain from the 1st of January 2021


The government has provided a step by step list for businesses to help them understand what they will have to change to ensure business continuity.  Follow the link for more information



Prepare to export goods from Great Britain to the EU from 1 January 2021


The process for exporting goods to the EU will change.  Businesses in Great Britain will need to complete specific actions to continue exporting to EU countries from 1 January 2021. Follow the link for more information




For EU citizens that wish to remain in the UK            


Check if you need to apply to the settlement scheme if you or your family are from the EU, or from Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.



Continue to live and work in the EU


Living and working in an EU country depends on the rules in that country.

You may need to register or apply for residency. You should check that you’re covered for healthcare.

You may also need to exchange your UK driving licence for a licence issued by the EU country where you live.




If you have any concerns or questions regarding what the transition will mean for your business, please get in touch with your Swindells partner ASAP. Preparing for the transition in a timely manner will be essential to continuing business without more disruption.

Sign up to receive our private content
straight to your inbox


We use social media to deliver our updates to you on the go, wherever you are. We only post relevant content that will help you run your business.